By SYDNEY MORWENG
Formula 1 Hotel staff in Meredale near Southgate Mall, Johannesburg are still in shock after the hotel caught fire yesterday
Although the cause of the fire which has left close to eleven guest injured while four of them were treated minor burns is still unconfirmed, according to the Johannesburg Emergency Services (JES) it could have been triggered by electric fault.
JES spokesperson, Esther Manzini, spokesperson has confirmed the number of casualities, including those who sustained minor burns.
“Nine casualities were rushed to the Chris Hani Baragwanath hospital and Lesedi clinic, both in Soweto for treatment for shock and smoke inhalatio,” said Manzini.
The blaze is reported to have started in one of the rooms on the second floor after 7am where a couple was sleeping. The pair was among the injured.
“The room was fully burnt and the hotel guests were evacuated. The fire was however contained before it could spread to the other rooms,” added Manzini.
Attempts to get comment from the senior personnel at the hotel proved fruitless and staff members were not obliged to say anything.