[cm_ad_changer campaign_id="1"]

Shabba slaughters Students

By Sports Focus Reporter

A convincing performance and a brace from Siphiwe Tshabalala saw Kaizer Chiefs thump BidVest Wits 4-0 in a Nedbank Cup last 16 match at the BidVest Stadium on Sunday afternoon, and thus ending the Students’ hopes of defending their crown.

The first 45 minutes saw the Mighty Amakhosi simply outplaying their counterparts with some smooth passing and great off the ball running.

Every time Chiefs pressed forward in attack it looked like they could find a goal. In fact, Wits did well to only concede two goals in the opening half.

For the Students, in attack, they were unable to break through a stubborn Amakhosi defence who looked solid and impenetrable.

The trouble for home side started as early as the tenth minute when a great passing movement saw Sthembiso Ngcobo with a sublime through ball for Siphiwe Tshablala to run onto. The Wits keeper, Darren Keet, though was on hand to make a fantastic reflex save to deny the Bafana Bafana winger from 14-yards out.

There was nothing, however, Keet could do three minutes later to stop his team from going behind. This time Mthokozisi Yende supplied the pass that saw Tshabalala through on goal and he made no mistake rounding the keeper before passing the ball into the back of the net, 1-0.

Wit’s only real chance of the half was a long range effort from Sibusiso Vilakazi in the 18h minute, but his 22-yard effort failed to trouble Itumeleng Khune.

The home side’s problems were compounded in the 35th minute when some poor defending resulted in them going a second goal behind. Tshabalala whipped in a corner-kick and as Wits failed to clear the danger Sthembiso Ngcobo pounced on the loose ball and fired it home from six-yards out, 2-0.

At the end of the first half the Students’ coach Roger de Sa was visibly upset with his team’s performance while Chiefs’ coach Vladimir Vermezovic will have felt it was a rather comfortable opening 45 minutes.

The start of the second half certainly saw Wits looking a little more threatening in front of goal and came close to pulling a goal back in the 47th minute. Sibusiso Vilakazi found some space inside the box, but his 16-yard shot just skimmed the wrong side of the upright.

However, soon after that Chiefs were back to their fluid passing ways and again took control of the match.

In the 59th minute Tshabalala turned provider when he put Yende through on goal, but his 12-yard shot from an acute angle was well saved by Keet.

In the 74th minute, though, Tshabalala put the result beyond doubt when he grabbed his second goal and his side’s third of the game. Jimmy Tau supplied a good cross from the right flank to find the Bafana man unmarked and he provided a clinical finish from eight-yards, 3-0.

George Lebese provided the icing on the cake for the Phefeni Glamour Boys when he scored his side’s fourth goal with a brilliant 22-yard free-kick that wrong footed Keet, 4-0.

More mud on the face of Wits saw Sifiso Myeni shown a straight red card in stoppage time for some foul language and rude gestures towards the referee.

The win sees Chiefs into the quarterfinals of the Nedbank Cup for the first time.

BidVest Wits (0) 0
Kaizer Chiefs (2) 4 (Tshabalala 13’ + 74’, Ngcobo 35’, Lebese 83’)


Wits: Keet; Pule (Mahashe 72’), Spencer, Mashamaite, Phungwayo, Fredericks, Sib. Vilakazi, Sibande (Chapman 46’), Langwe (Mngomeni 60’), Sif. Vilakazi, Myeni

Chiefs: Khune; Tau, Nahayo, Sweswe, Masenamela, Yende (Nale 76’), Letsholonyane, Dladla, Tshabalala (Lebese 81’), Ngcobo (Lewis 63’), Musona


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.